Opening Hours - Mon-Fri 9am-5pm, Sat 9am-1pm

Learner Driver Insurance

If you are looking for Learner Driver Insurance, we can help. We make learning to drive simple with our straight forward insurance options.

Learner Driver Insurance Image

Safely Insured have various insurance schemes available for learner drivers:

  • Annual Policies - Learning in Your Own Car - 12 Months
  • Short Term Policies - Learning in a Borrowed Car - 1-140 Days
  • Short Term Policies - Learning in your Own Car - 1-5 Months

All of which are designed to allow you the flexibility to get as much driving practice as possible. This website offer Annual Learner policies - you can start an online quote above. Safely Insured also has its own dedicated sister site where customers can purchase short-term Learner Driver Insurance online -

Annual Learner Driver Insurance

For annual Learner Driver Insurance policies, our minimum criteria is as follows:

  • You must be between the ages of 17-21
  • You must be looking to insure a vehicle you own
  • Accompanying drivers must be between the ages of 25-72 and must have held a full UK license for a minimum of 3 years

Our annual learner drivers policies are designed for you to learn to drive in your own vehicle. These policies must be cancelled upon you passing your practical driving test. We will calculate a return premium based upon the time left on the policy ( subject to claims / fees may apply) . We will then discuss with you the various options we have available for a Full UK licence policy.

Private Practice for Learner Drivers

From our own research, we found that people who practice driving outside of their driving lessons are more likely to pass their driving test quicker. We believe this is because learners have built up more confidence and are more aware of their surroundings, purely through all those additional hours of driving.

Being able to take out cover to temporarily add a Learner to someone else's car whilst learning is a fairly new concept in insurance. It removes a lot of the old barriers in relation to parent's being concerned about any negative effect on their own insurance, for example: losing their No Claims Discount. With this new type of policy, it is a totally separate 'top up' policy and therefore removes those issues. More and more people are recognising that the more often you practice, the more likely you are to pass your test, just like with any exam in life.

The Safely Insured Way

At Safely Insured, we take pride in providing you with a stress free experience and endeavour to provide you with policies that caters to your needs and requirements.

We provide Learner Driver Insurance to match most scenarios, offering online cover, for short-term learner cover and annual learner driver policies over the phone.

Temporary Learner Driver Insurance

There are two types of short-term learner driver policies available, cover to practice in someone else's car or your own car. The main insurance criteria for each, is as follows:

Practice in Your Own Car

  • Cover from 28 days to 140 days
  • Available for policy holders aged between 17-25
  • Cover for cars up to insurance group 28 with a current market value up to £20,000

Practice in Someone Else's Car

  • Cover from 1 days to 140 days
  • Available for policy holders aged between 17-40
  • Cover for cars up to insurance group 28 with a current market value up to £25,000

These online options are available through our sister site - click the button below for a quote or for further information.

Learner Driver Scenarios

There are many situations you may be faced with as a learner driver, whereby Learner Driver Insurance can help. Here are a few of those situations:

  • You have got your own car and have just started learning to drive but need insurance.
  • You've just bought a car in anticipation of passing your Driving Test and you want to get insurance to cover you whilst practising
  • It's two weeks before your driving test and you want to improve on certain skills before the test date, so you decide to borrow your parents car. A short-term learner driver policy will cover you in someone else's car.
  • You want to borrow your dad's car but his insurance company won't cover you. Our short term learner 'top-up' insurance will cover you whilst learning in his car - and will not affect his policy or No Claims Bonus.

What to do now?

Once you have decided what’s best for you can get an online quote or call us (short-term learner cover can only be purchased online). If you’re having trouble deciding what will be the best option for you, call us and speak with one of our specialist advisors who will be able to assist you and answer any questions you may have. On annual policies, we offer informative advice, in a friendly manner. Short-term policies are sold on a non-advised basis (meaning you need to assess the available options and confirm you wish to proceed). We will always put your needs and requirements first.

Short-Term Insurance

If you want to take out insurance temporarily (maybe to practice before your driving test) then simply click the 'Temporary Learner Policy' button. Alternatively, you can visit our sister site

Annual Insurance

If you want to take out insurance for a year, then simply call our Annual Learner Driver Specialist Team on 03303 331 256 and they will talk you through your options.

FAQ's - Frequently Asked Questions

  • Do I need to have an accompanying driver?

    Yes, whilst you have a provisional licence, you must have an accompanying driver with you at all times. Different insurance policies also have different age restrictions and requirements for the accompanying driver, so please clarify that information.

  • If I am using someone else's car and have purchased Temporary Learner Driver Insurance and I am involved in an accident, does this affect their No Claims Bonus?

    No, this is a separate add-on policy which does not affect the owner of the car's No Claims Bonus.

  • Are there any restrictions on the number of hours I can drive for?


  • Does it cover me whilst taking my driving test?

    Yes, however, cover on some policies vary once you have passed your driving test. If you intend to use the car for your actual driving test, check our website or call us to confirm which is the most suitable type of cover for that purpose, as some policies do not cover driving home from your test, whilst others do.